What’s going on Friday?
Monotonix @ Sasquatch Fest in May (more by Chris Graham)
tonight in NYC
* Kiss @ Nassau Coliseum
* Bob Weir @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Lord of the Rings @ Radio City
* Kayo Dot, Extra Life @ Drom
* Monk at 92 @ WFC Winter Garden
* Ludlow Lions, Indra @ Union Pool
* Rosanne Cash @ St. Ann's Warehouse
* Clutch, Lionize, Wino @ Irving Plaza
* Owen, The One AM Radio @ Mercury Lounge
* The Gossip, Men, Apache Beat @ Terminal 5
* Mancino, Timber Timbre, Rubik @ Union Hall
* Pierced Arrows, Endless Boogie @ Mercury Lounge
* Valley, German Measles, Blue Jungle @ Shea Stadium
* Monotonix, Turbo Fruits, The Beets @ Santos Party House
* Mason Jennings, Anni Rossi @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band @ Giants Stadium
* Psychedelic Furs, Happy Mondays, Islands @ Roseland Ballroom
* Thee Oh Sees, The Fresh and Onlys, The Beets @ Death By Audio
* TV Ghost, Wizzard Sleeve, FNU Ronnies, Unholy 2 @ Silent Barn
* Grand Archives, The Most Serene Republic, The Diggs @ Southpaw
* Thee Oh Sees, Golden Triangle, The Fresh & Onlys @ The Bell House
* 3 Inches of Blood, Children, Mantic Ritual @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* Indian Jewelry, Silk Flowers, The Present, SS Pyramid Snake @ Cake Shop
* Peelander Z, Math the Band, The Eskalators, Lima Research Society @ Maxwell's
* Ben Perowsky's Moodswing Orchestra, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey @ LPR
* One Step Beyond w/ Amanda Blank, Devlin & Darko @ Museum of Natural History
* Benefit w/ These Are Powers, Lone Wolf and Cub @ Issue Project Room
* Blue Jungle, Valleys, Waters Wolves, Gary B & the Notions, German Measles, Young Boys, Le Rug, and Effing @ Shea Stadium.
Born in the U.S.A. is the seventh studio album by American rock singer-songwriter Bruce Springsteen, released on June 4, 1984. His popular and commercial triumph, it found Springsteen marking a departure in his sound - while the predecessor, the dark and acoustic Nebraska featured songs of pessimism and isolation, Born in the U.S.A.'s lyrics expressed signs of hope in the daily fight of the standard American in following the American Dream, a new feeling complemented by synthesized arrangements and a pop-flavored, radio-oriented sound that helped Springsteen to extend his already-growing popularity and dominate the mainstream audiences. In support of the album, there was an enormous commercial and sociocultural exposure throughout a large string of hit singles, remixes and music videos, and also the renewed image that Springsteen delivered - a muscular physique and a tougher, American-hero-like persona. [Wiki]
The Boss plays the last of his Giants Stadium shows, doing Born In The USA in its entirety tonight.
Grizzly Bear and Beach House are up at Vassar tonight.
Monotonix are back in NYC for the first time since the release of their hard-to-beleive-it's-their debut LP in September. Turbo Fruits and The Beets open at Santos Party House. Tomorrow they play Market Hotel, again with Turbo Fruits. Listen to an interview with Monotonix below.
Canada's 3 Inches of Blood play Knitting Factory Brooklyn with Children and Mantic Ritual.
Canada's Timber Timbre plays Union Hall with Mancino. Owen, who is at Mercury Lounge tonight, plays Union Hall tomorrow.
Grand Archives and The Most Serene Republic are on tour - they play Southpaw tonight.
Pierced Arrows and Endless Boogie gig at Mercury Lounge.
The ex-Nakatomi Plaza band Ludlow Lions join Indra at Union Pool.
Charlie Looker and Extra Life are at Drom with Kayo Dot.
Rosanne Cash plays only the hits (other people's) at her two-night St. Ann's Warehouse engagement.
The One Step Beyond party at American Museum of Natural History hosts Amanda Blank and Devlin & Darko.
WFC Winter Garden hosts a free Thelonius Monk show, celebrating what would be the pianist's 92nd birthday.
Clutch and Lionize play Irving Plaza for two nights with Wino.
The Gossip's new Rick Rubin-produced record just came out officially last week. They play tonight with Men and Apache Beat at Terminal 5
Issue Project Room hosts a benefit tonight with These Are Powers and Lone Wolf and Cub.
Modest Mouse's new video for "Whale Song" is posted below.
Kurt Vile's video for "Freak Train" is below.
MONOTONIX - Band Interview September 2009